When most people think about fires, the main concern that comes to their mind is the scorching, deadly heat of the flames. This prospect on its own is frightening enough. However, the potential hazards stemming from a fire are much more diverse and longer lasting than the fire itself. RestorePro in Sandusky, Ohio is experienced in handling all of these risk factors to keep you and your home safe. If you ever experience a house fire, it’s important that you understand these additional dangers and reach out to the appropriate professional restoration company near you.
Smoke and Soot Inhalation
This is arguably one of the biggest hazards resulting from a fire. The foul smell resulting from smoke is not its only adverse effect. When combustion during a fire occurs, not all of the materials caught in its path burn cleanly. This results in smoke and soot. The chemicals and materials in the smoke and soot are likely to be very hazardous to your health.
You can be exposed to smoke and soot through inhalation, ingestion, your eyes, and your skin. This is possible because airborne soot particulates are invisible. Once it enters into your bloodstream, I can lead a lot of different health issues such as bronchitis, asthma, stroke, heart attacks, and even cancer.
Hidden Structural Damage
The possibility of hidden structural damage is one of the reasons why it’s so important to hire a professional restoration service like RestorePro to evaluate your home after a fire. Your home and the contents in your home that you may not notice could have suffered damage. Until your home is inspected, you should exercise extreme caution and do not disturb the structures in your home. Unseen structural damage could result in serious injury. Never enter a fire damaged home without a proper inspection.
Another easily overlooked hazard from fires is the fact that asbestos can be disturbed and spread throughout your home. Asbestos was frequently used in the insulation in older homes. When the fire burns through your walls and exposes the insulation that is what causes the asbestos to infiltrate your air. Asbestos can lead to serious health issues over time such as mesothelioma.
Mold and Mildew Growth
During the effort to put the fire out, the fire department will saturate your home with as much water as necessary. This can create another hazardous issue due to standing water and your property could encounter serious structural damage and mold growth. The mold caused by this water can lead to respiratory symptoms and more serious health problems if it is not taken care of.
To sum things up, just because a fire is put out doesn’t mean that you are out of the woods and out of danger. The health risks that come from smoke and soot inhalation, hidden structural damage, disturbed asbestos, and mold are not to be overlooked. If you find yourself recovering from a house fire, don’t risk your health or your safety. Call in a professional team like RestorePro in Sandusky, Ohio. With experienced technicians working around the clock, your house will be restored and safe in no time.
© 2020 RestorePro Inc. Powered by Spot On Solutions.